Short form pre-roll video ads are garnering increasing interest from brands and advertisers. Investment in this ad format is likely to increase significantly within the next six months according to an April research carried out this year by Trusted Media Brands. According to the study, 58% of US agency and marketing professionals polled, and who are involved in digital or mobile advertising and who place digital video pre-roll ad campaigns, said they definitely will use the format.
Other ad formats such as live stream and long form videos ads will also receive a considerable amount of investment though not as much. Quite a number of advertisers are still on the fence as to whether to invest in short form pre-roll video ads. For instance over 28% of those polled said that they will definitely invest in live stream ad formats within the next six months, while 27% said that they would definitely not invest in live stream. 45% said that there is a probability that they might invest in live stream. However, this ad format is definitely growing receiving investment from giant firms such as YouTube, Hulu and DirecTV. The study also found that 28% of respondents will definitely invest in user-generated formats within the next six months.
However, 45% of advertisers are still considering whether to spend on the format. Given the recent YouTube boycott and the concerns that were in turn raised with regards to user-generated content, they may choose not to. Over a quarter (27%) said they definitely will not invest in the format.
“Our metrics show videos being viewed, but many impressions are viewed for less than 3 seconds,” said Frank Amorese, senior media director at Heineken USA and added, “Advertisers need to front-load their messaging on Facebook and make sure the first video frame has thumb-stopping power. If it doesn’t, people scroll right past the ad. Right now, we are moving away from trying to tell a story that takes longer than 6 seconds on Facebook.”